Policy Summaries

Vision 2020

Vision 2020

by Vincent Nyirigira -
Number of replies: 25
  1. Paste your summary of your allocated policy and then review the summaries of the other documents;
  2. Consider how you would implement the spirit of the policies at both national level and in your own classroom

In reply to Vincent Nyirigira

Re: Vision 2020

by Olivier Habimana -

Vision 2020 is a government development program in Rwanda, launched in 2000 by Rwandan president Paul Kagame.

Its main objective is transforming the country into a knowledge-based middle-income country, thereby reducing poverty, health problems and making the nation united and democratic:

The programme consists of a list of goals which the government aims to achieve before the year 2020. These are:

• Good governance
  • An efficient state
  • Skilled human capital, including education, health and information technology
  • A vibrant private sector
  • A world-class physical infrastructure
  • Modern agriculture and livestock

by Monique Uwoyangeneye -

The Vision 2020 aims at transforming Rwanda into a knowledge-based, technology-led and middle income society by the year 2020. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is considered as an ubiquitous tool that will energize the country sociology-economic development. Enhancing teacher capabilities in and through ICT is one of the strategies used by the Government of Rwanda to develop a high quality skills and knowledge base, leveraging ICT across various sociology-economic sectors of the country.

Training teachers in ICTs will increase the resource base and improve education delivery at all levels, hence the need to institutionalize ICT usage and training for all teachers. The ICT Essentials for Teachers provides benefits for both teachers and learners for improved teaching and learning processes to better learning outcomes, from increased learner engagement to seamless communication with teachers which provides robust opportunities that ICT offers for the social development of knowledge based-economies for education. The ICT Essentials for Teachers is based on the UNESCO ICT Competency Framework for Teachers (ICT-CFT), a framework that outlines the competencies that teachers need for the integration of ICT into their professional practice.

by Didacienne MUSHIMIYIMANA -

Vision 2020 implementation

The Vision 2020 aims at transforming Rwanda into a knowledge-based, technology-led and middle income society by the year 2020. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) is considered as an ubiquitous tool that will energize the country sociology-economic development. Enhancing teacher capabilities in and through ICT is one of the strategies used by the Government of Rwanda to develop a high quality skills and knowledge base, leveraging ICT across various sociology-economic sectors of the country.

Rwandans are rightly proud of their cultural roots and the government will ensure that it takes advantage of this heritage in all facets of the development process. However, for this development process to be a success, Rwanda must embrace the future and exploit innovations in Science and technology to complement its cultural strengths. 

From now until 2020, Rwanda projects to have adequate, highly skilled scientists and technicians to satisfy the needs of the national economy. There is a need to generate, disseminate and acquire scientific skills as well as technological innovations, in addition to integrating them into the social and economic development drive.

In order for Rwanda to achieve this objective, it will have to develop the teaching of science and technology at secondary and university levels. It will facilitate the creation of high and intermediate technology enterprises and develop access to ICT down to the administrative sector level, in accordance with the national ICT plan.  .

By 2020, Rwanda projects to have internet access at all administrative levels, for all secondary schools and for a large number of primary schools. Telephone services will be widespread in rural areas and efficiency of public services will have increased through the application of e-government principles.

At the national level the leaders should implement this policy in the following way:

All schools can benefit from cheaper communication. Improve access to education and training through ICT. 

To increase ICT usage in 12-year basic education (YBE) schools thereby enhancing teaching and learning through ICT. To develop teacher capabilities in and through ICT. ICTs can be leveraged as effective educational tools.

ICT must support the emergence of teaching and pedagogical student-centered approaches as well as encourage research, communication and collaborative learning. To enhance teaching, learning and research in Institutions of Higher Learning  

At the school level the school leaders, teachers should implement this policy in the following way:

In our classroom first of all we must have computers lab with computers, internet connection and then we give to our teacher training about how they use computers and internet to teach their lessons.  We need electricity because computer cannot work without electricity.  We need other different   devices which help the teachers to increase their skills about using ICT such as printer, projectors, speakers, microphones, ….. We teach also the students how they use ICT in their daily life.

At the beginning of this school year (2018)  I will train all teachers of my school how they can use ICT into their work(teaching)

The teachers should try encourage students to be full integrate by allowing them to use the ICT tools, and be familiar with the rest of the world. Teachers will do this by using the cross cutting issues as adequate as possible because these cross cutting are related to the nation vision 2020.

As conclusion through The ICT Essentials for Teachers based on the UNESCO ICT Competency Framework for Teachers (ICT-CFT) after the teachers of Rwanda to be trained, the knowledge and skills of teachers and students will be increased ,all students will do their exams using  computer and they will get their result though online.

THANKS

by Callixte Ngiruwonsanga -

VISION 2020 is a global initiative that aims to eliminate avoidable blindness by the year 2020. It was launched on 18 February 1999 by the World Health Organization together with the more than 20 international non-governmental organizations involved in eye care and prevention and management of blindness that comprise the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB). VISION 2020 is a partnership that provides guidance, technical and resource support to countries that have formally adopted its agenda.  The mission of the VISION 2020 Global Initiative is to eliminate the main causes of all preventable and treatable blindness as a public health issue by the year 2020

by Jean de Dieu Dusabimana -

As ICT  is learning tools with more research the vision 2020, ICT Will start in the best condition when we construct the SMART rooms, spread electricity in all schools, and computers with internet.

But I upload my assignment here because the first one, I get message talked me to upload again

so I attach it below

As ICT  is learning tools with more research the vision 2020, ICT Will start in the best condition when we construct the SMART rooms, spread electricity in all schools, and computers with internet.

But I upload my assignment here because the first one, I get message talked me to upload again

so I attach it below

so I attach it below

so I attach it below

so I attach it below

so I attach it below

so I attach it below

by Francois Hakizimana -

At national level

• Develop Education leadership and teachers’ capacity and capability in and through ICT Leadership Development: Leadership development in the ministry and among school leaders that helps, leads, supports and encourages the regular use of ICT in schools and classrooms.
  • Develop Clear and effective policies that encourage and empower teachers and Students to use ICT as an integral part of the education process.
  • Increase ICT penetration and usage at all educational levels ICT Infrastructure; is the scalable ICT infrastructure, broadband and user support required to transform our schools into “Smart Schools” (in line with the Smart Rwanda vision). Interactive White Boards, servers, local area networks, cloud services, broadband connectivity and power.  Devices; student and teacher devices with appropriate education software.
  • Promoting the use of Open Education Resources.
  • Promoting the teaching of ICT as subject matter.
  • Raising awareness among students, teachers, and parents of the value of ICTs.
  • Making ICTs available to all formal education levels, and enable students, at all educational levels, to use ICTs in their learning as a tool and as a methodology.
  • Enabling all teachers and administrators to use ICTs as a management tool to support the educational process.

At classroom level

1.      Enhance teaching, learning & research through ICT: All students will be encouraged to own a device through a student’s purchase program.

2.      Using ICTs to support the emergence of teaching and pedagogical student-centred approaches and encouraging research and collaborative learning.

3.      Facilitating access to a wider range of knowledge for students and teachers to support the teaching and learning process.

4.      Engage learners to participation in new curriculum activities

5.       Motivate learners to strive for higher levels of performance;

6.      Increase learners’ sense of responsibility and of community;

7.       Builds students’ confidence in their learning skills and positive attitudes to learning.

8.      Students and teachers value the online textbooks as aids to teaching and learning;

Re: ICT policies will be implemented in our school and all schools of our country

by Eric Munyaneza -

ICT policies will be implemented in the all schools of our country depending to the following points:

•  ICT infrastructure will lead schools to be smart schools
  •  Distribute an electrical power at all national schools
  •  Distribute an internet line at all national schools
  •  The ministry in charge of education will try to train the teachers about how to use ICT especially in Education
  •  Distribute Computers and any others ICT tools in the national schools

ICT policies will be implemented in our school depending to the following points:

• Increase the skills level of the learners in using ICT
  •  Teachers should use ICT in Teaching and Learning
  •  Encourage the learners to make research on internet
  • Encourage the learners to share ideas using technology.

by Eric Munyaneza -

Vision 2020

Rwanda Vision 2020 aims at moving Rwanda from “an agriculture based economy to a

knowledge-based society “and middle-income country 2020. Education is a key sector

to this social and economic transformation, tapping into the limitless potential of an

empowered population. At the same time, the Vision 2020 places ICTs at the heart of the

transformation across all sectors. The use of ICT in education is seen as a strategic lever

for achieving this transformation. This policy complements the overall “SMART

RWANDA” Strategy, it implements the SMART EDUCATION policy.

The Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) calls for 3 strategic goals to be addressed for

education to fulfill its potential in the development of Rwanda.

 To expand access to education at all levels:

 To improve the quality of education and training:

 To strengthen the relevance of education and training to the labor market

including the insertion of 21st century skills

Technology in education can be used to achieve these goals and address the key

challenges of access, quality, equity, relevance and management efficiency with tangible

advantages that can be seen and measured in numerous ways.

At primary and secondary levels, gross enrolments ratios are growing and more

children are in school. However, the number of trained teachers to sustain these

enrolment ratios is still low. At higher education levels, the levels of enrolment are still

very low. Here technology to support Open and Distance Learning (ODeL) can play a

critical role train new teachers, up-skill existing unqualified teachers and increase

access to tertiary education.

While more children are enrolled in basic education, the key challenge remains the

quality of education they are getting. Here technology can be used to improve the

quality of teaching and learning materials through the use of digital learning resources.

Multimedia interactive digital content can be used to motivate students, improve

conceptual understanding and retention of key topics. ICTs can help simplify the use of

regular assessments to keep track of student performance. ICTs can help with real time

data gathering of enrolment, assessments, performance to improve decision making and

effective management of the education sector leading to informed prioritization and

allocation of resources. ICTs can also be used to strengthen teacher professional

development thereby contributing to the improvement of quality of education.

Lastly, students must be prepared for the 21st century and given abilities needed to

succeed and thrive in today’s complex, technology-based global economy, and to be

active 21st century global citizens. Some of these skills include Critical Thinking,

Problem Solving, Communication, Collaboration and Visualization. Technology in

education enables the development of these important skills.

Since 2008, MINEDUC has implemented the One Laptop per Child (OLPC) program at

primary schools and computer labs for secondary schools.