Learning Task 5.2: Learning more about child protection

Due: Tuesday, 12 January 2021, 4:19 PM

Write in the provided space any words and items that are unclear to you in the two lists  and ask a colleague to help you to understand the meaning on this forum . 

Dos (things you should always do)

I will always:

• respect and uphold the rights of the child in all my activities;
  • take any report of child abuse seriously and report any incident following the correct procedure;
  • advise a child disclosing information that they should tell me everything they can, but I will not promise to keep it a secret as I might need to inform the correct authorities to help them;
  • report any concern related to a child (including suspicions, incidents or allegations) in accordance with incident reporting procedures;
  • support individuals who report child abuse incidents and bring such information to the attention of the relevant authority dealing with child safeguarding;
  • ensure that taking images of children and recording them (audio and video) is done in accordance with BLF’s child protection and safeguarding policy;
  • ensure that the use of the images of children does not put the child at risk of being identified or located;
  • strive to be a role model for child safeguarding and protection by preventing and responding to any form of child abuse and displaying high standards of professional behaviour at all times;

Treat children in a manner which is respectful of their rights, with integrity and dignity, and considering their best interests without any discrimination;

• create and maintain an environment which prevents the abuse and exploitation of children;
  • Cooperate fully and confidentially in any investigation of concerns or allegations of abuse against children.

Don’ts (things you should never do)

I will never:

• use language, make suggestions or offer advice that is inappropriate, offensive or abusive to children;
  • spend excessive time alone with children and will ensure visibility to others when interacting with children;
  • tolerate any physical and/or verbal contact with children that is sexually provocative;
  • develop physical/sexual relationships with children or relationships which could in any way be deemed exploitative or abusive;
  • have a child or children (with whom I am working or any other child outside my family) stay overnight at my home;
  • take images (including videos and photographs) or interview children, their parents, teachers or guardians, or members of their communities, without their written consent;
  • condone or participate in behaviour towards children which is illegal, exploitative, abusive or unsafe;
  • slap, hit, inflict physical or emotional harm, or abuse children in any other way;
  • act in ways intended to shame, humiliate, belittle or degrade children, or otherwise perpetrate any form of emotional abuse;
  • hire children as ‘house help’;
  • use BLF assets to access, view, create, download, or distribute sexually abusive images of children;
  • jeopardise the consortium’s reputation or position, whether during or after business of working hours.
Visible groups: All participants
(There are no discussion topics yet in this forum)