Unit 5 Stories and descriptions
5.1 Listen to a story
Elephant lived in the bush with his family.
All the baby elephants played together in
One day, Elephant decided he was too
old to play with the others. He went for a
long walk. He met Father Lion on the path.
“Where are you going?” asked Father Lion.
“I am going for a walk,” said Elephant.
“I am too big to play in the water.”
“Come with me and visit my family,” said
42 Unit 5 Stories and descriptions“The lions will eat me,” thought Elephant.
He turned and ran all the way back to the
river. Elephant decided that he was too
young to go for a walk alone. He would leave
being grown up for another day!
Exercise 1: Write about the story
Complete the sentences then match each
sentence with a picture.
1. Elephant decided that he was too ____
to play with the other elephants.
2. After that he went for a ____ on his
3. Next he met ____ ____ on the path.
Unit 5 Stories and descriptions 43
5.2 Describing a process
Micheal wrote a letter to her grandmother.
• First, she wrote the letter on a
piece of paper.
• When she had finished writing,
she put the letter in an envelope.
• Then, she wrote her grandmother’s
address on the envelope.
• Next, she put a stamp on the envelope.
• After that, Micheal went to the post box
and posted the letter.
• At 7 o’clock the next morning, the
postman emptied the post box.
• At 10 o’clock a van took the letter to Kigali.
• Finally, the postman delivered the letter
to Micheal’s grandmother.
Exercise 2: Talk about the process
1. What did Micheal do first?
2. What did she do after she had written
3. What did the postman do?
4. What do you think happened next?44 Unit 5 Stories and descriptions
Exercise 3: Link sentences
Copy the sentences into your exercise
book. Use words from the boxes to
complete the sentences.
after that finally then next
1. Micheal sat down and ____ began to
write on a piece of paper.
2. ____ she put the letter in an envelope.
3. ____ ____ she put the letter in a post box.
4. ____ the postman delivered the letter.Exercise 4: Match pictures with sentences
In your exercise book, write down the
numbers of the pictures in the correct order.
Unit 5 Stories and descriptions 45Learning box
Full stops and capital letters
When we write names of people and places
we start with a capital letter. When we
write a sentence we end with a full stop.
Exercise 5: Use full stops and capital letters
Write the sentences correctly.
1. mary is going to kigali
2. patrick is talking to frank
3. agnes and jessica live in huyeExercise 6: Sing a song
Sing “This is the way we go to school”
with your teacher. Use these verses:
First of all we wash our face
After that we comb our hair
Then we like to eat our food
Finally we go to school.46 Unit 5 Stories and descriptions
1. Use the words in the boxes to complete
the sentences below.
then next after that finally
I eat breakfast in the morning and ____
I brush my teeth. ____ I brush my hair.
____ ____ I go to school. My parents read
me a story at night time before I ____ go
2. Write the numbers of the pictures in the correct order.
3. Write a short text about the pictures
4. Write the sentences with capital letters
and full stops.
a. Micheal and i are going home
b. Mary likes reading