Unit 4 food
4.1 Talking about mealtimes
Exercise 1: Talk about mealtimes
1. Use the words below to complete the
morning lunch evening
a. I eat breakfast in the ____.
b. I have ____ in the afternoon.
c. I eat dinner in the ____.
2. At what time do you have lunch?Unit 4 Food 314.2 Talk about meals
We have different types of food for our
meals. Look at the pictures. Talk about the
meals you eat.
Exercise 2: Match words and pictures
1. Match the words below with the
correct picture above.
2. Write down the word and the number
of the picture.
milk chicken bananas rice
bread cabbage beans eggs32 Unit 4 Food
Countable and uncountable foods
We can count apples and tomatoes.
Each apple and tomato is a separate
thing. We cannot count porridge or rice.
There are too many grains in a plate of
rice for us to count each one.Exercise 3: Can you count it?
Copy the table below into your exercise
book. Copy the words below into the
table in the correct column.Countable Uncountable
apples eggs bananas porridge
rice honey sugar potatoesLearning box
Saying how much there is
Some words show how much food you
have, or if you have no food. See examples
on the next page.Unit 4 Food 33
I have a lot of beans. There are many
apples. There are only a few eggs. I have
Exercise 4: Indefinite or nothing
Choose words from the box and complete
the sentences below.
many few little much no
1. There is ____ food in the empty
2. I am hungry, so I will eat ____
3. I am not hungry. Don’t give me so ____
4. The baby eats only a ____ bit of
5. There are only a ____ nuts.34 Unit 4 Food
4.3 Talking about food likes and dislikes
Talk about the foods you like and dislike.
What food do you like? I like porridge.
She does not like meat. My favourite food
Exercise 5: Whose plate is it?
1. Copy the picture of the
plate onto a sheet of paper.
2. Draw the different types of
your favourite food on the
3. Write the name of each type of food.
4. Your teacher mixes the sheets of paper
and gives them back to you.
5. Guess which learner each plate
6. Take turns to describe what food the
person likes. Start like this:
She likes…. or He likes….
Unit 4 Food 35
4.4 Describing food types
We can divide food into groups.
Different types of food
• Fruits and vegetables keep us healthy.
• Dairy (milk) products make our bones
• Grains (or cereals) give us energy.
• Meat helps us grow and makes us strong.
Exercise 6: Draw, label and describe food
1. Draw a picture of one type of food
from each food group.
2. Let your friend say which group each
type of food belongs to.
3. Write the name of the food and the
food group under each picture.
36 Unit 4 Food4.5 Describing diet
Your diet is the type of food you usually eat.
You need a good diet to be healthy.
4.6 Read about a healthy diet
Teacher: Eating the right food keeps us
healthy. Some foods are
unhealthy. Sweets and drinks
with a lot of sugar are bad for us.
Michael: I like to eat fruits and vegetables.
They keep my body healthy.
Mary: I like rice and beans. They give
me energy to do sports and help
Teacher: Yes, Mary, rice and beans are
healthy. Do you drink lots of
Mary: Yes, I drink lots of water. I get
very thirsty when I do sports
Unit 4 Food 37Exercise 7: Talk about healthy food
1. Is the food in the
picture a good
2. Say whether
each of the
things below is
good or bad for you. Explain why
Exercise 8: Sounds and words
Fill in the missing letters. Say the words
38 Unit 4 Food
4.7 Using a questionnaire
You are going to find out which foods your
friends like. Your teacher will help you to
draw up a questionnaire.
Exercise 9: Ask questions
Ask the questions in your group and make
notes about your classmates’ eating
habits. Ask ten classmatesExercise 10: Make a bar graph
Unit 4 Food 39
Exercise II: Talk about what you have
1. What is the most liked food?
2. What is the least liked food?
Exercise 12: Classify foods
1. Make a list of all the foods shown on
the graph on page 39.
2. Draw up a table like the one below.
Write the name of each food in the
3. Write a sentence about each food group.
40 Unit 4 Food
1. Use the words in the boxes to complete
the sentences below.
lunch dinner breakfast
a. I eat ____ at six o’clock in the morning.
b. At half past twelve in the afternoon
I eat ____.
c. At six o’clock in the evening I eat
2. Look at the names of foods below. Say
whether each one is countable or
b. tea leaves
3. Copy the table below. Write two
examples of foods in each column
4. Draw a picture of a healthy lunch. Include
your favourite foods to have for lunch.
Write a sentence or sentences about
what makes this a healthy lunch.